I think it’s incredibly awful that we’re still debating whether climate change is real or not. We don’t have time to debate. We have to take action… immediate action… if we’re to salvage what’s left of Earth’s resources, and start living in a more sustainable way. Some things to think about …
- It’s happening. The polar ice caps have shrunk a great deal.. add Greenland and Antarctica to the mix; sea levels could rise by 75 feet.
- There is more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere today than at any point in the last 800,000 years in the planet’s existence.
3. Food Waste:
- Over 1 billion people in the world are undernourished.
4. Ecosystem destruction:
- Coral reefs are very sensitive to small temperature changes, they are suffering the worst bleaching in earth’s existence. These ecosystems are at the most risk.
5. Extreme weather:
- Increased wildfires, heat waves, drought, tropical storms, and other insane weather occurrences are all a result of climate change.
- It is estimated 150-200 species of animals go extinct every 24 hours, and another 1 million species face extinction due to disappearing habitats, changing ecosystems, and acidifying oceans.
- The increased spread of infectious diseases is occurring because warmer temperatures allow for disease-carrying insects such as the mosquito to survive in areas where it was once too cold.
8. Water shortage:
- Wars have been fought over oil and other non-renewable resources in the past; guess which resource is next?
9. It’s Our Fault
- Yes, it is. Humans are responsible for the accelerated rate at which climate change is occurring.
10. We can fix this!
- There is still time if we act. We must. It is unacceptable to let the actions of a few affect the collective. Don’t sit idly, and say “it’s all fucked, who cares?”. The collective consciousness affects us all. It affects us all. Let’s change together.